UPDATE [March 19, 2021]: The modified installer described below is necessary, but no longer sufficient to make DisplayLink work with Ubuntu 21.04. Please see this newer blog posting for additional details.
UPDATE [May 10, 2021]: A bug in the installer script which was preventing it from detecting some Ubuntu 21.04 installations has been fixed. The download link below has the fixed version.
The DisplayLink installer for Ubuntu currently being distributed by the folks at DisplayLink.com is incompatible with Ubuntu 21.04. I’ve made some minor changes to make it work. You can download my modified version here.
To use it:
- Download the file at the link above.
- Unpack it with
tar xf displaylink-184.108.40.206-hirsuite.tar.gz, which will create a directory called
- Cd into that directory and run
sudo ./displaylink-installer.sh install.
This version contains the following changes from the official distribution:
- It displays a warning telling you that it’s an unofficial version and what is different in it.
- It uses the EVDI kernel module shipped by Ubuntu rather than the one in the installer, since that one won’t compile on Ubuntu 21.04.
- It contains a workaround for an apparent bug in udev in Ubuntu 21.04 (see here for details about the bug).
Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about using this modified installer on Ubuntu 21.04. Please don’t email me with DisplayLink that aren’t about using this modified installer on Ubuntu 21.04.
P.S. For the paranoid among you, here is how you can confirm that the changes enumerated above are the only ones in my modified installer:
- Download and unpack my installer as described above.
- Download the official Ubuntu installer from DisplayLink.com. That will give you a file whose name ends in “.zip”.
- Unzip that file, which will give you a file whose name ends in “.run”.
sh displaylink-driver-220.127.116.11.run --noexec --keep --target orig. That will create a directory called
origcontaining the official installer’s contents.
diff -r orig path/displaylink-18.104.22.168-hirsute, where
pathis the directory you unpacked my tar file in.