Yesterday, my wife forwarded to me an email message she had received from our children’s school to ask me a question about it. I should have received the same message, but I hadn’t.
A little research in the mail server logs revealed that she has received seven messages from the school in the past three weeks that I should have received but didn’t.
I contacted the school to ask what was going on. They, in turn, contacted Constant Contact, who informed them that I had asked to be put on Constant Contact’s global block / don’t email / unsubscribe list, i.e., that I had supposedly told Constant Contact that I did not want any of their customers to be able to send me email through Constant Contact for any reason.
This, of course, was malarkey.
I called Constant Contact (866-289-2101) and gave them a piece of my mind, and they have supposedly removed me from the block list.
While I have never asked to be put on that list, I have sent many spam reports to [email protected] about individual Constant Contact customers using the service to send spam. I have certainly never asked in any of those reports to be put on the global block list; rather, I’ve asked for them to put a stop to the spamming of that individual customer, in accordance with their anti-spam policy. I surmise that a Constant Contact employee must have misinterpreted one of my requests.
It is rather unfortunate, to say the least, that Constant Contact’s practice is to add people to their global block list without notifying them that this has been done. Given that mistakes happen, they really need to have safeguards in place to prevent people from being “taken out of the loop” without their knowledge or consent.